Sunday, September 26, 2010

Run

Today I went for a run through town.

On the sidewalks I noticed the buildings that surrounded me.

As I passed by I looked inside, I looked and saw myself looking back.

I could see myself in the glass that reflected back at me.

I saw myself in the pawn shop on Lake Street.

I saw myself in the window of the bookstore on Union.

I saw myself in the restaurants and supermarkets.

I saw myself in the clothing boutiques and movie theatres.

I even saw myself in the cars parked on the side of the street.

I looked and saw the outfit I had picked to run in,

I saw my running shoes gliding through the air,

I saw my arms pumping at either side of me,

I saw the perspiration on my forehead,

To my dissatisfaction I saw the slight bulge of my mid-section under my t-shirt.

Then I ran by a church and I looked inside.

There was no glass, no clear windows that reflected my image back to me.

All I could see was stone and iron, brick and wood.

For a moment I looked away, straight ahead to the sidewalk in front of me.

I looked again and saw a cross.

I saw a man on the cross.

I looked at him and he looked back at me.

I continued to run, without stopping,

without looking back at the man who was always looking back at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment