Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Lawn chairs and tree-stumps

So I was mowing the lawn today as I often do, and started thinking, as I don't as often do. That's one of the benefits of a repetitive, menial chore; it allows you the freedom to let your mind drift. It occurred to me, "I've been mowing this same lawn now for over 15 years", every summer it's the same thing. Oh there's been shifts in the landscape, fleets of different mowers, and some of the trees are larger or deader, but for the most part I'm cutting the same edges, overcoming the same obstacles, and pursuing the same ends that I have for the last 15 summers. Hmmm, metaphore anyone?

I reminded myself, "Get a grip, you won't be here for long. Just one more summer and things will really start to change."
And I told myself "True, but what does that really change? I'll still be the same person I was before. Does my destination in life depend on my physical location?"
"It's much more than that, think of the opportunities you'll have that you don't get here."
"Yes, but opportunities are only good to those who have trained themselves to take advantage of them."
"Granted, however..."

It was about this time that my internal dialogue was cut short by a deer fly that attached itself to my neck. In a second it was deftly dispatched with a quick swat and I continued on my way. "They may be irritating, but they have good taste."

I guess the point is, whether at home or at school, I'm still me, no matter where I go, I take my issues with me. The time zone might be different, but the obstacles are the same. The only factor that determines how I meet them, is me.

No comments:

Post a Comment